Thursday, October 25, 2007

Baul


This past Saturday evening Sandip and I had the pleasure - or perhaps I should say I had the pleasure; I'm not so sure about Sandip - of meeting a Baul, who performed for a small group of tourists at the Vajra Hotel.
.

The Bauls are the Hindu equivalent of the Sufis, itinerant mystics who sing and dance in praise to the mystery of life. As I had never heard of them, let alone heard one sing, it was quite an informative evening. The woman accompanying him on percussion is the Baul's disciple, a Swedish national who has been studying the form for 10 years, and who has created a small web site with more information about the Baul's and Binod Das Baul, including video performances.




#

1 comment:

  1. Namaste Jeff-san,
    I met Mutsumi-didi last night and came to know that you were writing a blog. Reading it today, I felt like I was also back in Kathmandu. Even seeing a linoleum floor and lace work covers for a couch brought me back to my days in Nepal.
    Also, it was nice to see the pictures of Carolyn and Harvey. I am very happy that they are fine and had a wonderful anniversary with all your family.
    I think it is getting colder in Nepal, and I know it is freezing cold not just outside but inside of a house - maybe colder inside:) Please take care, and all the best for your thangka work!
    Keiko

    ReplyDelete